Summer is a time for fun in the sun, but it can also be a challenging season for makeup lovers. The heat and humidity can melt even the most carefully applied makeup, leaving you feeling less than fabulous. But fear not! With a few simple tips and tricks, you can keep your makeup looking fresh and flawless all day long. Here are some tips on how to look your best even when the temperature rises:
- Start with a clean slate before applying any makeup and make sure that your skin is clean and well-moisturized. Use a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated without adding extra oil. This Cetaphil moisturizer is my go-to all summer long. And don’t forget to use a primer! This will create a smooth base for your makeup to adhere to and help it stay in place. My go-to primer is this luminous silk one by Armani Beauty!
- Go light on the foundation In the summer, heavy foundation can feel suffocating and cakey. Instead, opt for a lightweight, sheer foundation or tinted moisturizer. Bonus points if it has SPF in it! These products will even out your skin tone without feeling heavy or greasy. If you can totally forgo foundation – I would recommend using a combination of this Elta MD tinted sunscreen (great for acne prone skin) with a bit of Drunk Elephant’s Bronzi Drops mixed in it for a glowing, tan base.
- Use a setting spray! Setting spray is a game-changer when it comes to summer makeup. It helps lock in your makeup and keeps it looking fresh all day long. Choose a setting spray with a matte finish (this one is my favorite) if you have oily skin, or a dewy finish if you want a more radiant look.
- Waterproof your eye makeup! Sweat and humidity can make mascara and eyeliner smudge and smear. To avoid this, choose waterproof versions of your favorite eye makeup products (i.e. mascara, eyeliner, etc). And if you’re planning on swimming or spending time in the water, make sure to choose a waterproof formula for your eyebrows as well.
- Use a cream blush for a longer-lasting effect. If you want your blush to last all day in the heat, try using a cream blush instead of a powder. Cream blushes have a more natural finish and tend to last longer than powder formulas. This cream blush by Merit is my favorite (the color Stockholm is perfect for summer too!).
- Keep it simple In the summer, less is often more when it comes to makeup. Instead of piling on multiple layers of eyeshadow, opt for a single wash of color or a simple cat-eye. And instead of a heavy, bold lip, choose a tinted lip balm (you can’t go wrong with Laneige – I always run out) or a sheer lipstick for a more natural look.
With these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to keep your makeup looking fresh, flawless, and (of course) pretty all summer long! & for the full collection of my favorite go-to makeup products, click here!